Security Basics mailing list archives

R: Biometric question

From: "Alessandro Bottonelli" <abottonelli () libero it>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 18:38:46 +0100

Bryan E. Glancey wrote:
I have to say I disagree with the previous posting that Biometrics are
not ready for prime time.
  We, in the United States, have been all too slow in the adoption of
security procedures and privacy policy. The unfortunate events that have
befallen our country have merely awakened concerns to where they should
be.
      I have visited a large portion of the Fortune 500 over my career
and I and consistently amazed by the neglect of information security in
common business planning.

Excuse moi Brian, but while I agree with you security procedures adoption
has been too slow in the US (and Europe as well ...), I don't see how
it relates automatically to the adoption of biometrics. We lack a
logical connection between the two, here.

Security is firstly a matter of policy, processes, and organization.
Technology can be any technology as long as it helps to reach the goals.

Personally, I still see too many limitations in the large scale
adoption of biometrics, both technical and socio/political (it may
very well be that I am biased since in Italy we have one of the most,
if not the most, strict privacy law).

--
Alessandro Bottonelli
Owner of Axis-Net.it