Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: TCP vs UDP

From: Xaos <xaos () compulink gr>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 17:02:00 +0200

Although i'm not an expert i would say it depends on the port... Say for example that we're talking about a DNS server... surely you'll leave open the UDP port 53 so that i will answer to clients but you won't open TCP 53 as well unless you want to allow everybody to perform zone transfers... I think that sort of rule more or less applies to all the other ports as well... If you don't need it open.. close it... :-)

Xaos

Roberto Ramsis wrote:

hello
thanks to everyone who replied to my last msg
what's the difference between a port TCP and UDP?
i am talking from a firewall concept,i want to know ,if i need to block a port,when should i block TCP and when UDP and when both?
Thanks in advance