Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Basic Question only

From: Kylus <kylus () pizzle org>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:37:27 -0500

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 03:52:01PM +1100, Christopher Rea [chris_rea () hotmail com] wrote:
I am sure that this is a silly question, but who are these guys that keep
trying my firewall on port 53 (DNS) and port 8. I am sure they must be the
good guys, but why do they keep knocking, I only have one DNS server that is
setup for lookup mode ???

I'm not certain about your DNS issues, but with the 'port 8' thing check
which protocol is generating that trigger. It's very likely that it's ICMP
type 8 which is an ICMP echo...a ping. I don't know what firewall you're
using but check it out, it could just be someone pinging your address. :)

K.