Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Biometric question

Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 01:41:04 +0100

Dear Mr. Cuello,

Fingerprints are very secure as authentication, as well as iris scans. The
chance that 2 persons have the same fingerprint (and know that they share
the same features) is very slim. Voice authentication is a bit less secure,
for ones voice could be different due to a cold. However, modern software
analyses a particular wavelength and patterns of ones voice which is said
not to change overnight. Of course, it would be a shame if you'd get cut off
from your own system, or locked out of your own office.

I am sorry I don't have links for you, but this has been researched some
time ago. The outcome of one of the researches was that authentication based
on physical traits should be combined with the usual password verification,
and not to rely solely on distinct characteristics but oldschool passwords
(passphrases) or smartcards as well..

With kind regards,
Dennis