Security Basics mailing list archives

Re : IP to MAC mapping

From: lars () email lu
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 09:53:05 GMT

I have a question regarding the recent discussion about IP to MAC mapping.

In fact suppose you have a system installed which controls if any unknown
MAC address exists in your lan.

There would still be the possibility to replace an official workstation by
a laptop with a reconfigured MAC address (the same as the network card of
the official workstation).

I guess the only way of preventing this is to avoid disclosing the mac
address of the official workstations.

To achieve this you have to prevent giving access on the official
workstations to critical programs like arp and ipconfig.

My question now is : what other standard windows programs like arp and
ipconfig can give you official mac addresses ?

Thanks in advance

Lars