Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Login Banner

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 17:12:09 -0800

From: sharon_joyner () timeinc com
We have a small network consisting of an NT 4.0 Server with Win95,
Win98 and W2k workstations connected to it. There are three versions
of a login banner popping up on these workstations and we need to
standardize to the one "official" version. We've changed the banner on
the server, but this has only changed some workstations. Most still
have their old login banner displaying. Can anyone tell me how can we
push out the changed login banner to all workstations?

In win2k you'd use active directory, on NT you'll probably want to add the following registry entries to your .pol files:

HIVE: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
KEY: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WinLogon
NAME: LegalNoticeCaption
DATA TYPE: REG_SZ
VALUE: <enter text to display in title bar>

HIVE: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
KEY: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WinLogon
NAME: LegalNoticeText
DATA TYPE: REG_SZ
VALUE: <enter text to display in dialog box>

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Live dangerously, overclock your servers."

MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 3 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_advancedjmf_3mf