Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless LAN detection

From: Steve Jeffers <steve.jeffers () avnet com>
Date: 19 Dec 2002 19:04:19 -0000

Some high end detection products are available from www.airdefense.net

Also some other sources such as aptools.sourceforge.net

Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 09:12:31 -0800
From: Gene <gyoo () attbi com>
To: "Boschmann, Armin" <aboschmann () hydro mb ca>
Cc: "'security-basics () lists securityfocus com'" <security-
basics () lists securityfocus com>
Subject: Re: Wireless LAN detection
[167E03E0:01C29FA6]

you could look at software like netreg to identify unknow hosts that
connects to your network and start your audit policy from that point...

gene

Boschmann, Armin wrote:
We have a policy of no-wireless at our sites.  I want to audit this
policy,
similar to war-dialing, or more correctly war-driving.

My thinking is to find illegal wireless equipment in realtime.  My
concern
is insiders (temporary employees, contractors, 'bad' employees)
plugging in
a wireless access point, then accessing our network from the street,
then
disconnecting.  So I am envisioning a computer with a wireless receiver
that
will look for TCP/IP traffic, and tell me if it detects communications
any of our computers.

I can see several problems, such as distinguishing between our
192.168.x.x
addresses and those on WLANs of our neighbors.  Also I would have to
harden
the wireless detection computer, and ideally not connect it to our
network
at all yet have some means of notifying me (pager, cell modem).

Does anyone know of a product that does this?  Or if you think my
approach
is suspect, suggest another one?

Armin Boschmann
aboschmann () hydro mb ca