Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: A Solution for sniffing

From: <Bruce.Orcutt () alltel com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:45:37 -0500

Actually, I had never heard of Anti-Sniff before.

Looks interesting, but looks easily circumvented by a determined techie.

Anti-Sniff has three major components:

1) NT based:

Easiest way to avoid is not run Windows NT on the Sniffer :)

2) DNS:

Easy way to avoid is not to use DNS on the Sniffer, take the logs from the Sniffer and use it to the DNS lookups
desired at a later date on a later machine.  Can easily set up a simple program to read in a table of IPs, then convert
them into DNS names, and re-write the table

3) Timing with a flood:

Don't know about your network, but I know I would not want to add the extra traffic of a flood of packets.  Also,
pretty easy to add a little intelligence into your Sniffer that if it receives X number of packets in Y number of
seconds, shut down promiscuous mode temporarily.  Also, with faster and faster nics coming out, more and more packets
are able to be processed, thus necessitating the increase in the size of the flood, thus causing more problems
associated with flooding a network.

Just some of my thoughts at least