Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: syslog server- how to on Linux

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:49:52 -0800

From: "easy" <easy () unacs bg>
It's not so difficult to find information for the syslog daemon and
for any program in *nix systems. All you have to do is to read the
manual!
$ man syslogd

I use Linux here as well, but I have to contradict you on this one. The man pages (in my opinion) do not explain anything, they merely remind you of the relevant command syntax if you already know what you're doing. Info pages are a bit better, but don't even come close to being available for most commands. What he's looking for is a How-To type document, the links for which I already provided in an earlier post.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Live dangerously, overclock your servers."