Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Telnet Security Question for a Router.

From: "Mark Maher" <mmaher () ochsner org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:35:00 -0600

Most of the Cisco routers suport SSH, especially if you are running an IOS image that supports IPSec.What we did until
all of our routers supported SSH, was set up a secure SSH server in our internal network (trusted part of the network).
Then, for access from the Internet, we SSH to the server and then telnet from there to the router. This way, the
connection to our network was encrypted, and only the part between the SSH server and router was unencrypted. Of
course, this doesn't protect us from the inside (internal network), but does prevent sniffing and hijacking from the
Internet (outside). Hope it helps.

Mark Maher
Ochsner Clinic Foudation

"Tony Toni" <tony572000 () hotmail com> 12/10/02 08:45PM >>>

We were currently wrote up by our external auditors because we use telnet to
access all of our routers.  In some cases we use a filtered Telnet
service...but that is not the normal practice.  We are a fairly good size
company with about 1000+ routers.

I am charged with coordinating a response to the auditors.   I know all of
the security issues involved with Telnet...ie login id and password sent
across the network in clear text, etc.   My question:   Is it possible to
use SSH or CISCO TACACS+ to encrypt the entire Telnet session?  Is there a
way to ensure no one can sniff the login id and password?   The Network
Services Group is adamant that neither SSH or CISCO TACACS+ will work on a
router to correct the security issue.

Tony CIA,CISA,CDP,MBA
Security and Audit Services
Nations Banking & Trust

PS: I have been playing phone tag with the auditor that wrote us up...to see
what they recommend...have not reached him yet.