Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Can anyone break MD5 scheme?

From: flur <flur () flurnet org>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 19:13:30 -0500

Perhaps a less controversial solution to get your linux box online would be to designate an older machine running MS Windows as a router... There is lots of software that will do this for you (ie Sygate, WinRoute, etc). With few access list rules you can make the router quite transparent, and it can serve as your first line of defense.

As for MD5, to the best of my knowledge, brute force is the only way to 'crack' it... however I have heard rumors that some implementations are weaker then others.